Wichita County plans to improve Internet access
WICHITA FALLS, Texas (KAUZ) — Wichita County officials have released theirs to plan to improve high-speed Internet access throughout the community.
The plan is based on the results of a statewide survey conducted in partnership with Connected Nation Texas. It ran from October 2021 to February 2022 and asked residents, business owners, government leaders, first responders, ranchers, educators and health officials to answer questions about their internet access and usage.
A total of 1,141 housing surveys were collected. CN Nation officials released the following data from the survey:
- 67.9% of Wichita County households surveyed say they subscribe to a fixed Internet service
- 58.5% of employed respondents reported some form of teleworking; of which 34% telework daily and another 22% telework several days a week
- 41.4% of households and 41.5% of companies are dissatisfied with their current internet offering
- 89.4% of households said they would like improved or additional internet options at home
“Broadband is critical to every aspect of life in Wichita County, including education, business development and quality healthcare. It’s important that our residents and businesses have access to affordable and reliable internet,” said Wichita County Judge Woody Gossom. “Partnering with Connected Nation Texas has given us a better understanding of how people are using the internet and what issues need to be addressed. With the data collected, we can better connect our community.”
The Technology Action Plan lists the following goals:
- Establish broadband leadership in Wichita County as a vehicle for economic advancement and community development.
- Increase broadband speeds across Wichita County to enable modern applications like digital streaming, online gaming and telecommuting.
- Curate local workforce development and digital literacy curriculum to expand economic opportunity for Wichita County military spouses and employees.
- Pursue regional planning opportunities with other forward-thinking and broadband-inclusive communities.
- Increase broadband adoption and usage among Wichita County residents by offering and promoting low-cost, low-cost Internet plans and subsidy programs.
- Identify opportunities for economic advancement in Wichita County using broadband and related technologies.
Copyright 2022 KAUZ. All rights reserved.