Commissioning Editor (Web3 Publish) – Pedestrian Jobs
pedestrian group (Winner – Publisher of the Year, Mumbrella Publish Awards 2021) is seeking a talented and well-connected Contract Editor to join the launch team of Australia’s first Web3 focused publication.
The commissioned editor reports to the editor-in-chief and works closely with the editor-in-chief. He will focus on identifying and platforming key and emerging voices in the web3/blockchain space on the brand’s website and associated social networks, as well as commissioning and editing everything from the daily news hits to larger features and Exclusive products that will make us a name in the market.
This role requires someone with a deep understanding of the key people working in the industry and a strong network of existing contacts whose voice and opinion would be a good fit for the publication so they can help drive engagement from our audiences around the world world promote website and social.
The commissioned editor also works with the managing editor to edit texts created by reporters on the team as needed.
The Commissioning Editor must:
- Commission and edit anything from daily news hits to bigger features and exclusive posts from important and emerging voices in the Web3/Blockchain space
- Manage the entire awarding process: assess pitches for suitability, create a clear brief, work with contributors to develop their stories to ensure they are of the high quality our readers expect and meet all deadlines be respected
- Negotiate agreements and talent contracts with contributors and work closely with finance to ensure they are properly onboarded
- Manage a tight annual startup budget and closely track payroll rates and other expenses to ensure no overages occur
- Be our “quality” gatekeeper, making sure everything we produce is performing to its potential, never letting it walk out the door good enough
- Work as part of a close-knit editorial team, editing texts created by reporters on the team as needed
- Development and maintenance of our in-house style guides
- Meet regularly with key contacts to build relationships, secure editorial exclusives and ensure the brand stays at the forefront of the Web3 community
- Stay current with the Web3 news cycle to ensure our coverage is timely, informed and unique
The position requires someone with:
- Proven experience and passion for Web3 – with a finger firmly on the pulse of the latest news and developments in Blockchain
- Minimum 3 years experience in a managerial or editorial role, commissioning and editing of long and short form journalism
- An extensive network of existing contacts in the blockchain space, both locally and internationally
- Ability to generate unique and brilliant feature ideas across a wide range of topics
- A flair for storytelling and a proven track record of identifying trends and issues to cover – and the best way to write and engage with an audience
- Highly skilled at creating stories and editing them quickly within a CMS
- Excellent understanding of SEO
- An excellent eye for detail
- University degree in journalism or a related discipline
This is a full-time position in Australia and can be carried out entirely remotely (although Pedestrian Group has offices in Sydney and Melbourne).
To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter explaining why you are suitable for this position.
*About Pedestrian Group*
Pedestrian Group is Australia’s leading youth publisher, reaching a unique audience of more than 4.16 million Australians per month and more 18-39 year olds than any other publisher. It is home to PEDESTRIAN.TV, VICE Australia, Refinery29 Australia, Lifehacker Australia, Gizmodo Australia and Kotaku Australia as well as Open Air Cinemas. It is wholly owned by Nine Entertainment Co., Australia’s largest and most diverse media company.